Re: [squid-users] Re: kernel consideration for heavy loaded network

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:41:31 +1300

On 7/12/2011 5:47 a.m., Benjamin wrote:
> On 12/04/2011 11:33 AM, Benjamin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are using centos 6 64 bit for squid with tproxy feature.Our squid
>> purpose is for only cache gain.So i wonder that do we need to compile
>> vanilla kernel with any specific parameters or OS default kernel is
>> enough to use with heavy network.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benjamin
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestion or feedback for the same please.
>
> Regards,
> Benjamin

Lack of response around here mean nobody paying attention has a clue
(yet, but it could be waiting a long a while as well).

TPROXY has some kernel modules it requires. They are mentioned
prominantly in the PROXY feature documentation:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Tproxy4

AFAIK Squid only stresses the kernel in areas which are easily tuned
after building it, so it probably does not matter. Traffic is very
network-specific and you will only find out what the problems are for
your traffic type once the system is running. So testing well and tuning
the whole system to avoid problems while it is live is probably the best
way forward.

Amos