[squid-users] Forard proxy config questions

From: J Smith <kalazooga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:39:24 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to squid. I think I have it configured to do what I want, but I wanted to run my squid.conf options (pertinent parts only) by more experienced eyes to double-check.

I'm running squid (2.7.STABLE7) as a forward proxy on my personal computer, with the sole purpose of caching frequently-used static content from a few specific sites. Nothing else should get cached. Furthermore, once the content is cached, it does not need to be revalidated.

Here goes:

# List sites to be cached
acl cache_us dstdomain a.example.com
acl cache_us dstdomain b.example.com

# Allow access from my computer only
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all

# Only cache "cache_us"
cache deny !cache_us

# Once cached, do not revalidate
offline_mode on

A couple of questions:

* From my scan of the log files, this appears to work. Any reason why it won't work, hidden pitfalls, etc.?

* With "offline_mode on," I'm assuming that other cache-tuning options (e.g., max_stale, refresh_pattern, minimum_expiry_time, etc.) are irrelevant;
squid will cache matching content once, always fetch it from the cache in the future, and never revalidate it. Right?

* How/where are validation requests logged?

Thanks in advance.