Re: [squid-users] Squid with Kerberos auth

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:47:43 +1300

On 21/12/2011 3:03 a.m., Wladner Klimach wrote:
> But the problem is that i'm not running IPv6 in my network. That's why
"Welcome to your IPv6 enabled transit network. Whether you like it, or not."
- Rob Issac, 2008.
(http://www.ausnog.net/files/ausnog-03/presentations/ausnog03-ward-IPv6_enabled_network.pdf)

Try with -n parameter to lsof. You might get a surprise.

The TCP "hybrid" stack can use IPv6 sockets for IPv4 traffic, this may
also be what you are seeing. Squid-3.1+ will detect stack types and use
this optimization for receiving ports if it can.

> I've asked if this could be a problem. And the cpu usage hiting 99%
> with only one user? Does it look like hardware limitation? When i'm
> not using authentication, the cpu usage doesn't hit 50%.

Unlikely with one user.

All Squid does for auth is take the tokens out of HTTP headers and relay
it to the auth backend. Then add the backends reply token to the HTTP
response for the client. Very minimal CPU operations in Squid, unknown
amount in the backend. Maybe (max) 32KB of token copied each way, plus
the HTTP bits.

Amos