[squid-users] Squid as reverse proxy to thousands of domains - multiple FQDN objects cached for essentially same object

From: Kevin Jackson <kevin_at_linuxservices.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:48:43 +0000

Hi,
We operate a reverse proxy cache for thousands of domains and this
works quite well.
The problem we have is that our cache has to be very big (too big for
memory) so we rely on some disk cache to serve alot of this.

Our cache objects are like:

www.somdomain1.com/common/some.css
www.anotherdomain1.com/common/some.css

where some.css is the same file - but Squid sees these separately and
caches them separately causing our cache to fill up inefficiently.

Is it possible with Squid to cache this common object once. It isn't
feasible to have common elements served from a single domain (i.e.
www.somedomain1.com/ can't pull in content from
www.our-common-cache.com/common/some.css)

What I'd like to be able to do is tell Squid these are common objects
and therefore when it sees these, serve from a "fake" domain
internally to it so it is transparent to the backend web servers, yet
other elements are served as normal.

Is this possible? The net effect would be thousands of separate
objects being cached once allowing us to serve our cache from memory
again.

Cheers,

Kev