Re: Fwd: [squid-users] stopping sslbump to domains with invalid or unsigned certs

From: Christos Tsantilas <christos_at_chtsanti.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:38:54 +0200

On 12/22/2011 11:01 AM, Sean Boran wrote:
> Thanks.
> I also found a page that explains several things about sslbump that I
> did not understand yet, e.g. how to ignore domain errors:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SslBump
>
> Error messages:
> /usr/local/squid/share/errors/templates/error-details.txt is very
> interesting indeed, thanks.
> Its make me wonder a bit though.
> When visiting a site with an invalid cert one sees:
> -- snip--
> The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/
> Failed to establish a secure connection to 77.93.254.178
> The system returned: (71) Protocol error
> This proxy and the remote host failed to negotiate a mutually
> acceptable security settings for handling your request. It is possible
> that the remote host does not support secure connections, or the proxy
> is not satisfied with the host security credentials.
> -- snip--
>
> i.e. the specific cert problems are not transmitted to the end user
> (expired cert, self signed), nor the cert contents
> "/C=--/ST=SomeState/L=SomeCity/O=SomeOrganization/OU=SomeOrganizationalUnit/CN=localhost.localdomain/emailAddress=root_at_localhost.localdomain".
> Is this something that can be improved already, or does one have to
> wait for the this first:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/BumpSslServerFirst ?

I see. The ERR_SECURE_CONNECT_FAIL error page does not provide the SSL
error details. It return only a system error...
You may want to open a bug report for this problem.

However it is not so difficult to fix it with your own.
You can add the following two lines in your ERR_SECURE_CONNECT_FAIL
error templates:

The "%x" formating code replaced with the SSL error name and the "%D"
replaced with the error details.

The error details for an SSL error can be customized using the
"error-details.txt" templates.