Re: [squid-users] HELP: UPDATE

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 00:18:42 +1300

On 31/12/2011 10:45 p.m., Pieter De Wit wrote:
> On 31/12/2011 21:32, someone wrote:
>> Ok, I rm -rf`d all directories named squid from my box thinking that
>> attempting to do a fresh install after would fix everything NOPE, and
>> wtf, apparently the install binary wont recreate the directories now,
>> yay! wtf symlink madness???? any suggestions how to just get squid to
>> reinstall from apt would be, sooooooooo awesome.
>>
>> I removed squid due to a botched attempt to build and isntall from
>> source, ok, then when I reinstalled squid after doing a make uninstall,
>> squid was complaining about the error pages missing, it was looking for
>> them in a new dir that it should not have been.
>>
>> rm -rf /usr/share/squid3/<--squid3.1.6 SHOULD be looking here
>> rm -rf /usr/share/squid-langpack<---but,squid keeps looking for them
>> here

No. Squid 3.1 uses error page templates provided by the langpack. It is
correct.

At this point I agree with Pieter suggestion. Use "dpkg -l | grep squid"
to find all the packages which you may have damaged by removing "squid"
directories.

At the minimum there will be squid3, squid3-common and squid-langpack.

When you have determined what needs repairing use "aptitude purge"
followed by the package names to drop them out of your system.

Then and re-install them.

The squid wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Debian has the required
options to build squid for Debian.

Amos