Re: [squid-users] Force A lookup first, then AAAA

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 03:56:52 +1300

On 6/01/2012 1:53 a.m., John wrote:
> Basically I'm looking for a third option to "dns_v4_fallback", like this:
>
> "If this is Squid will lookup A and only try AAAA if none found."
>
> John

The way the DNS is written it is serial lookups, and to reverse the
lookups you would need to rewrite the whole lookup and result merging
sequence.
We talk occasionally about making the DNS lookus asyn and using the
first response immediately, but nobody has yet had time to write that
code. Patches welcome.

You should be able to reduce dns_timeout to a few seconds safely. The
iteration is not through all remote DNS servers, but throughthe set of
your own internal ones. A small set is recommended when facing this problem.

Amos