Re: [squid-users] squid mib information

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 00:49:11 +1300

On 7/01/2012 8:32 p.m., Ben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We would like to use squid snmp mibs to get statistics of squid
> performance and cache gain.
>
> We are using squid-3.1.10.By reference
> ofhttp://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Snmp
>
> We have a list of OIDs information in one line.Can we have any
> document which provide more details regarding each OIDs. Some OIDs are
> confusing.So if we have a document which provides more details about
> them that is much helpful to understand them in appropriate meaning.

There is no better documentation than that page. Unless you are one of
the rare people able to read MIB files without getting confused. In
which case the MIB.txt can be found in the Squid sources.

> Some of are OIDs, which we decided to use with mrtg to get cache gain,
> bandwidth saving statistics from squid.
>

> *.1.3.2.1.2.0 cacheHttpHits Counter32 2.0+ Number of HTTP Hits
>
> It provided url cache hit , my percaption is right?

Yes.

> *.1.3.2.1.4.0 cacheHttpInKb Counter32 2.0+ Number of HTTP KB's received
>
> It says that how many traffic comes from internet to squid , my
> perception is right?

No. Received by Squid from clients.

> *.1.3.2.1.5.0 cacheHttpOutKb Counter32 2.0+ Number of HTTP KB's
> transmitted
>
> It says that how many traffic goes out from squid to internet , my
> perception is right?

No. Sent by Squid to clients.

> *.1.3.2.1.13.0 cacheServerOutKb Counter32 2.0+ KB's of traffic sent to
> servers
>
> what does it says ?

"KB's of traffic sent to servers ". I think you already know what a
server is.

> *.1.3.2.1.12.0 cacheServerInKb Counter32 2.0+ KB's of traffic received
> from servers
>
> what does it says ?

"traffic received from servers".

The server metrics do not mention HTTP because this is the KB used by
all server protocols.

> Our network design :
>

> internet
> |
> core router ----------> squid box
> |
> local network
>

> We want to identify that how much cache gain / bandwidth saving we have
> from squid?

Bandwidth Savings KB is: cacheHttpOutKb - cacheServerInKb

Bandwidth Savings % is: cacheRequestByteRatio.1

Amos