[squid-users] Delay pools and ICAP issue in 3.2

From: Alex Crow <alex_at_nanogherkin.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 19:04:46 +0000

Hi Amos, all,

I continue testing 3.2 as promised after a brief hiatus (XP clients,
NTLM auth, external ACLs on NT groups).

I am pleased to say that in squid-3.2.0.14-20120106-r11479 that previous
issues with external acls deciding users were in a group that they
weren't (or the opposite) appear to be resolved, at least from testing
on one or two client machines. I will try to extend this to some more
users ASAP.

However I have also seen that with both ICAP (to c-icap/clamav) and
delay pools that browsing stalls on certain sites, especially on a class
3 delay pool with conservative per-client limits (eg 200kB/s perclient
rate, 100kB/s refill). For instance, if I load http://bbc.co.uk/news and
then play a video from that site, then attempt to load a main page from
that site in another tab in Firefox, that tab will just remain a blank
page although the logs do show a few items being processed. If I either
turn off ICAP, or turn of delay pools, all seems well. In fact, if I
just use a single class 1 pool limiting to 100MB/s it also seems fine.

Delay pools also fail with ICAP unless I exclude streaming media, in
particular mime type application/x-fcs from ICAP. If I don't exclude
such things, it is very rare that I can load bbc.co.uk/news at all in
Firefox. I used some reasonable debug_options settings to try to detect
the problem but I don't see any errors, but the browser just shows
"Waiting for <hostname>" for an hour (as long as I left it) and squid
cache/access.log show nothing happening.

I notice a couple of other posts about this. Is this a known problem in
3.2? If not, please provide appropriate debug_options settings and I'll
try to get logs for you in the next 2-4 weeks (I'm afraid I have a lot
on over this time).

Thanks

Alex