Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2.0.14 on OpenBSD with >1 workers results in "Cannot fake shared segments in SMP config" errors

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:34:32 -0700

On 01/03/2012 03:37 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:35:04 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:13:35 +0100, Henri Wahl wrote:
>>> Hello squid-users,
>>> I am running squid 3.2.0.14 on OpenBSD. It runs fine until I try to use
>>> more than 1 worker. Setting "workers 2" in squid.conf results in error
>>> messages like those:
>>>
>>> Jan 3 12:28:20 squid02 squid[19018]: Ipc::Mem::Segment: Cannot fake
>>> shared segments in SMP config (Fake segment open)
>>> Jan 3 12:28:20 squid02 squid[9245]: Ipc::Mem::Segment: Cannot fake
>>> shared segments in SMP config (Fake segment creation)
>>>
>>> and no squid starts, just looping in this state. Is there any special
>>> compile option ore are there general SMP problems with OpenBSD?

>> Your system is missing shared memory support.
>> I'm not sure why the "fake" memory access wrappers which are supposed
>> to take over are failing.

Fake shared memory segments cannot share memory. This is why they are
called "faked" :-).

Fake segments exist so that the same high-level Squid code can work on
platforms that do not support shared memory _provided_ shared memory is
not actually needed for a given Squid configuration. Faked segments do
not add shared memory support to platforms that lack it.

If OpenBSD does not support POSIX shared memory segments, one must
disable shared caching (memory and disk) to use multiple workers. Caches
will not be shared or synchronized.

If OpenBSD supports POSIX shared memory segments, one must fix Squid
that apparently thinks otherwise. After the fix, workers can share disk
and memory caches.

Hope this clarifies,

Alex.