Re: [squid-users] Performanceproblem Squid with one URL - strange behaviour ...

From: Schulz, Andreas <andreas.schulz_at_tds.fujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:28:24 +0000

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:53:18PM +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
Hi,

> So doing I/O to a disk log somehow speeds up TCP throughput? strange
definitely right ... but I'm not sure if this speeds up TCP throughput -
but speeds up Squid ;-)

> This sounds a bit like the speed problems we see with very low traffic
> rates. When the I/O loops get very few requests through they end up
> pausing in 10ms time chunks each processing cycle to prevent CPU overload
> doing lots of processing on very small amounts of bytes.
hmm, speed problems should be no problem. I tested also the following:

- iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 8081 -j DNAT --to-destination 212.112.181.17:80
- iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -d 212.112.181.17 -j MASQUERADE

no changes in client so every browser url gets redirected to the ment.
website. Dirty but what I found out was same speed as a direct internet
connection. So speed problems not given - btw: our internet access has
speed of 1G :-)

> This release is getting a bit old now and has a few I/O buffering bugs in
> it that may be related.
> Please try the 3.1.18 Debian package from Wheezy / testing repositories
> (may require some dependency updates as well).
installed testing release - no success :-(

> 145 connect() calls in 0.05 ms, all failing? does not seem right at
> all.
you're right, all calls where connect for IPv6-addresses. But we have
this failed calls also with other sites. Testing deactivated IPv6 in OS
was decided based on these connect-calls. Anyway the connect calls still
used IPv6-addresses. But we have these connect fails with other websites
too. So I don't think it's not the root cause.

> Given the time measure I don't think its related, but probably worth
> knowing and fixing. Did the section 5 trace show what was going on here?
hmm I didn't find anything helpful but there are lots of messages. I can
provide complete log if needed ...

> Add here:
> refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
configured

> Eeek! nearly unlimited access to the whole Internet. Why?
only for test purposes :-) Therefore I used tcp/8081, our customer uses
8080 and this config has some ACLs more ... I stripped down
configuration to exclude configuration problems ...

Another really interesting result from another test. In my home
environment I have also a Squid vom Debian Squeeze. Running in a VZ but
on 32 Bit environment with nearly same configuration - no problem! And
only with a 12MBit internet access ...

So should this be a 64bit-related problem? I can't believe ...

regards,
Andreas Schulz