Re: [squid-users] Squid Config with AD Intranet Example

From: James Robertson <j_at_mesrobertson.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:55:21 +1100

> It actually doesn't require going through Squid.  I never really
> thought I could bypass it.  My plan was to utilize WCCP in my Squid
> implementation, would this create a problem?  So would I configure
> Squid to ignore the intranet address when a user on the proxy types it
> in?  I'm thinking this is what needs to be done since I'm going to be
> using WCCP per user port on the switch.

I have never used WCCP but looking at the squid wiki I would expect
connections to the Intranet from the client to go via the LAN
(bypassing squid) anyway (that assumes not client configuration).

There are a number of methods to bypass certain addresses or networks.
The simplest of which would be to add exclusions into the web browser
proxy configuration directly. I use WPAD on the installations I do
and it works very well (IE can have a stupid quirk if you have not
previously used a proxy on your LAN though).

http://serverfault.com/questions/54567/internet-explorer-isnt-auto-discovering-http-wpad-wpad-dat-auto-config/313284#313284