[squid-users] Squid Hardware to Handle 150Mbps Peaks

From: nachot <jthork_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:02:14 -0800 (PST)

We currently have a commercial proxy solution in place but since we increased
our bandwidth to 150meg connection, the proxy is slowing things down
considerably as it's spec'd for 10meg connections. The commercial vendor
proposes a new appliance that is 5 times what we can afford to spend. We're
considering Squid as an option, but it needs to be able to support 50meg
sustained throughput with spikes to 150meg.

We have about 200 users and only need the proxy to support ICAP integration
with our DLP solution. The Squid proxy should provide visibility into our
SSL connections for the DLP solution to scan and also provide blocking of
web/FTP connections containing sensitive data. Caching and web filtering
are secondary needs.

I expect Squid would be able to support our needs, but also expect that it
won't run on light hardware (which is the reason behind our current need in
the first place). Are there recommended hardware specs for such a
configuration?

Any suggestions are appreciated.