[squid-users] Question about implementing Upstream Parent Squid Cache

From: someone <mrnicholsb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:50:53 -0800

Ok yay So We just installed a brand new squid cache on the network
segment above ours! yay!

but I need to know how to properly configure my local squid box to use
it, I would like it to fetch cache from the parent proxy obviously, and
I also would like it to still have internet and serve cache from its own
cache if the parent proxy ever goes down, Im going to try with the below
example right now to see how it goes. Thanks for any input I can get on
this from you pros, its very much appreciated.

cache_peer 192.168.1.205 parent 3128 0 no-query
prefer_direct off

any issues with this that I should be aware of?

I do NOT want my local squid doing "always direct" when the parent squid
is down, I want it to serve cache as well.