[squid-users] Squid, wccp2 and Solaris

From: Jerry Kemp <squid.mail.13_at_oryx.cc>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 14:44:25 -0600

I am currently running Squid ver 3.1.8 in an OpenIndiana ver b151a zone, and to
date, Squid is working great.

Now, I would like to be able to do wccp2 using Squid from my Cisco border router
to my squid server.

In my efforts to do some RTFM, I did some searching on the Squid site, FAQ, etc.

I came up with some good stuff on the router side, not that this part isn't
pretty easy anyway. But I came up short on the OS side. The documentation I
was able to find only discussed linux, not Solaris.

As I searched further out on the Internet, I came across a few documents that
discussed Solaris and wccp2. The documentation I found on the Internet
discussed acquiring, compiling and installing a GRE module from some software
package named OOPS. Also, some of the documents discussed doing packet
forwarding using the (supplied) ipfilter firewall package.

The really big problem that I had with these documents were that they were all
dated 2003 and 2004 time period and were all pre-Solaris 10.

To cut to the chase, assuming that any of the above were correct steps for
Solaris 7, 8 or 9, are they still accurate for Solaris 10 and above? And
Solaris distro's? I would have assumed that Solaris 10 and above would have
include a GRE module as part of the Crypto toolkit.

thank you for any comments,

Jerry