Re: [squid-users] poor mans load balancing

From: Carsten Ralle <cr_at_i4yoo.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:35:41 +0100

>> What I was looking for is a "line sharing" the other way around
>> (downstream traffic):
>>
>> client -> Cache1 -> line -> Cache2 -> Webserver (>Request)
>> <- Cache1<- lines<- Cache2<------' (<Reply)
>> ^
>> |
>> line sharing needed
>>
>> Did I get this right or is there a way to configure Cache2 to use
>> separate lines for downstream traffic using your random ACLs ?
>
> Individual IP packets can take paths like that because each one is
> separately address with source and destination details.
>
> HTTP does not work that way. The reply MUST come back on the same TCP
> connection the requests went out on. Squid can vary the IP address it
> uses, and trigger different routing for that whole connection
> request/reply sequence. But that is as far as Squid can go.
as you are far more familiar with the protocol details just a quick
question about your suggestion:

for me cache2 terminates the http connection, so all connections to
web-servers are made by cache2 as the "face" of all traffic. Correct ?

In case we would set up direct routes from three public IPs on Cache2 to
three corresponding IPs on the interfaces of the multi-WAN-router would
that speed up a single http/https/ftp download (Cache2->Cache1) using
your feature and tcp_outgoing_address ?

Carsten

Yoo GmbH                       Tel.: 037328 809 40
Zellwaldring 51                Fax : 037328 809 96
D-09603 Grossvoigtsberg
Germany                             www.yoogmbh.de
Registereintrag: Amtsgericht Chemnitz, HRB 181 852
Geschäftsführung: Carsten Ralle