Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.7.STABLE9 suddenly fails to run

From: SB Tech <sirgadabout1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:41:36 +0000

On 10 February 2012 01:28, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>> squid.conf is owned by
>> "root" user and group, r/w for user only; the swap log (which I assume
>> is swap.state) is owned by "proxy" user and group.
>

> Then ensure that the root user is the account you are starting Squid from.
> Not your normal login.
> The whole path affects the file permissions, so also check that read access
> is allowed in /etc and /etc/squid directories. Likewise for the cache
> directory paths.
>
> Squid runs as the user account which started it. That account requires
> access to all the resources Squid uses, and ability to su itself down to the
> low-privileged effective user account the worker daemons run in.
>
> Amos

The inability to open the conf file on boot has resolved itself (or I
quoted an error resulting from some manual attempt to run squid) - but
the "squid[1551]: storeDirOpenTmpSwapLog: Failed to open swap log"
error still exists, and is fatal. This is the unprivileged user
spawned by the root process that is run at boot.

The low-privileged effective user is the default, "proxy". Here's an
accurate representation of my cache/logs file stucture:
/media/sdcard root:root 777
../squid proxy:proxy 770
../../00 through 0F proxy:proxy 750
../../swap.state proxy:proxy 640
../../logs proxy:proxy 775
../../../*.log proxy:proxy 640
Interestingly, swap.state is back even though I deleted it during
troubleshooting, so Squid can clearly r/w here just fine.
For completeness, my cache_dir is set as follows:
cache_dir ufs /media/sdcard/squid 800 16 256
Logs:
access_log none
cache_log /media/sdcard/squid/logs/cache.log
cache_store_log /media/sdcard/squid/logs/store.log
I really can't see anything wrong with my permissions. What am I missing?
Thanks.