Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.7.STABLE9 suddenly fails to run

From: SB Tech <sirgadabout1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:10:57 +0000

On 12 February 2012 00:34, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 10:53 a.m., SB Tech wrote:
>>>
>>> the "squid[1551]: storeDirOpenTmpSwapLog: Failed to open swap log"
>>> error still exists, and is fatal.  This is the unprivileged user
>>> spawned by the root process that is run at boot.
>>>
>>> The low-privileged effective user is the default, "proxy".  Here's an
>>> accurate representation of my cache/logs file stucture:
>>> /media/sdcard       root:root 777
>>> ../squid            proxy:proxy 770
>>> ../../00 through 0F proxy:proxy 750
>>> ../../swap.state    proxy:proxy 640
>>> ../../logs          proxy:proxy 775
>>> ../../../*.log          proxy:proxy 640
>>> Interestingly, swap.state is back even though I deleted it during
>>> troubleshooting, so Squid can clearly r/w here just fine.
>>> For completeness, my cache_dir is set as follows:
>>> cache_dir ufs /media/sdcard/squid 800 16 256
>>> Logs:
>>> access_log      none
>>> cache_log /media/sdcard/squid/logs/cache.log
>>> cache_store_log /media/sdcard/squid/logs/store.log
>>> I really can't see anything wrong with my permissions. What am I missing?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> I note it's actually looking for "TmpSwapLog" - is there somewhere
>> else I should be looking for this permissions issue (if that's what
>> this is) than the swap.state file?
>

> Its a temporary of teh swap.satte called swap.state.clean or swap.state.tmp
> and should be in the same directory as your swap.state.
>
> Try setting /media/sdcard/squid to 777 for one run and seeing if something
> strange has happened with its permissions. If swap.state owner or group
> changes those are what needs to be given access.
>
> Amos

Hi,

Thanks for following up on this. I took your advice, but afterwards I
simply received the same error.

I performed a "ls -la" on ../squid, and I don't see any evidence of a
swap.state.clean or .tmp - all I have are the cache folders, my logs
folder and swap.state. Where could this be, as it seems to be where
the problem lies?