[squid-users] No 'access denied' message with 'https'

From: Danilo Godec <danilo.godec_at_agenda.si>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:24:53 +0100

Hi,

I needed to block certain web sites with Squid 3.1.12 and I managed
doing so with:

acl dstdomain MYBLOCK blockeddomain.com
http_access deny MYBLOCK

Since my clients are all configured to use proxy and not allowed direct
access to the internet, this works for both 'http' and 'https'.

However - if clients use 'http' to access the prohibited site, they get
a 'nice' informative message that they are being denied the access

But if they use 'https' instead, the browser shows an error (for
example, Chrome shows 'Error 111 (net::ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED):
Unknown error.', while Firefox shows 'Firefox is configured to use a
proxy server that is refusing connections'). That's not very 'user
friendly' and might lead to false error reports...

Is there a way to have Squid display the 'Access Denied' page for
'https' destinations as well?

    Thanks, Danilo