Re: [squid-users] Prefetch patch test

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 01:47:04 +1300

Before we start. Please do not hijack other topics discussions. It ruins
the groups archive threading and threaded mailer tools many of us use to
track the group mail. Thank you.

On 15/02/2012 5:24 p.m., anita.sivakumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone used and tested the squid prefetch patch available in the squid website?
> For me it apparently gave a segmentation fault when I tried to prefetch. It works normally for other requests though.

I assume you means the prefetch project patch from
devel.squid-cache.org? That was last updated for one of the 3.0
PRE-releases (5 or 6 by the looks of it).
It was not accepted into mainline for some reason unknown to me.

Apart from ESI support, all body content filtering and adaptations have
been pushed off to ICAP and eCAP processors. The whole devel.* site is
now outdated, all projects there are in the deprecated bin. If you would
like to revive one please get in touch with squid-dev about joining
development and be prepared for a fair bit of hacking to get it ported
to current 3.HEAD in BZR.

There are other tools (such as "squid-prefetch") which can do prefetch
for any version of Squid without patching which you may want to
investigate first.

Although be aware the in most instances pre-fetching at the proxy level
has usually been found to be a large waste of bandwidth and cache
resources, with little benefits (or none) to offset the costs. Modern
browsers do a different kind of pre-fetch themseves which has a far more
efficient algorithm for calculating what resources to fetch early. Squid
and other proxies do not have access to enough of the users information
to do it efficiently.

Amos