Re: [squid-users] finding the bottleneck

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:11:58 +1300

On 17/02/2012 2:29 p.m., E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/2/17 Eliezer Croitoru:
>
>> it also depends on your ISP interception machines.
>> if they have a lot of users and less powerfull machines it will cause
>> slowdowns!
> Yeah, we don't know what they have exactly, we hope it's good stuff
> the problem is that when we don't know how much slowdown our systems
> are introducing it is harder to complain to the ISP because they can
> just put the blame by us even if that is not the case....
> I guess I could stick wireshark on the WAN port connecting to the ISP,
> the client making the request and possibly the proxies on the way make
> sure their times are all in exact sync and see what the time
> difference between a request being made internally, it going out,
> coming back etc. is but that is very involved....

Squid retains and can log some of these useful metrics.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/logformat/ has the particular
details for each of the below tags measurements when each starts and
stops...

  %tr - time to get response to the client (what is normally logged)
  %<tt - total time Squid spent communicating with server(s).
  %<pt - time spent between sending request and receiving reply from the
upstream server. This will include all the ISP encoding overheaders for
the response.
  %dt - DNS lookup lag time.

Squid request processing overheads is %tr-%<tt.

Squid connection setup overheads sending the request upstream is %<tt-%pt.

NP: In 3.1 and older the upstream connection time (%<tt) includes the
DNS (%dt) overheads. In recent 3.2 they are separate time segments.

HTH
Amos