Re: [squid-users] Mozilla Firefox sometimes badly asking re-authentication (NTLM/negotiate)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:18:57 +1300

On 17/02/2012 10:00 p.m., George Machitidze wrote:
> I've faced this problem with Squid 3.1.16, especially on youtube when
> starting the video or scrolling through it, note that it's asking you
> to authenticate not all the time, but sometimes, when it shouldn't:
> Mozilla Firefox shows window to enter credentials moz-proxy:3128. When
> entering VALID credentials, it's refusing and asking again and again.
> By pressing "cancel" everything works and video loads normally.
> I've tried to find the reason with sniffer - maybe browser was
> accessing restricted URL, but i couldn't get the point.
> Maybe this is FF bug, maybe configuration problem, squid behavior and
> other browsers are using some other methods...

Question is whether it is the credentials you are entering, or the
domain controller token being used to encrypt them that is

NTM and Kerberos credentials handshake need to be done on every new
connection. You have turned keep_alive off, which closes the connection
after every request. That could be the cause of this.
I don't see any sign of the persistent connection settings, which I hope
means they are still at their default (ON) values.

You may also need to turn on HTTP/1.1 features your browser uses when
talking to proxies. I'm not sure about firefox, but know they are off by
default in IE and other windows apps.

Amos