[squid-users] Re: Squid Processes

From: sichent <sichent_at_mail.ru>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:53:14 +0100

> 250 users is not large for Squid. Any of the production releases should
> be able to handle that many without causing much of a CPU bump on modern
> hardware. I think you can start with one Squid process and expand to
> more if you find it stressing the machines. More likely you will need
> more DansGuardian proxy processes though, that is where the heavy CPU
> consumption will occur.

BTW, have you considered other content filtering solutions which use
ICAP to integrate with Squid? It could possible be a less burden for you
hardware as ICAP (and eCAP specifically) has ability to early opt-out of
traffic that does not need to be filtered.

BTW not all content filtering solutions are implemented as processes
some (like qlproxy) do thread based connection handling thus (possibly)
decreasing CPU and (especially RAM) requirements...

Best regards,
sich