Re: [squid-users] Percentages of Squid Instances Running on Different OSs

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 04:38:26 +1300

On 3/03/2012 1:23 a.m., Justin Lawler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wondering is there any analysis of what % of squid instances are running on each OS? Which would be the most popular OS and by how much?

That data is unavailable.

Debian and Ubuntu provide packages to allow admin to weekly feedback
about software usage. But most admin would rather not install them.
The other OS do not even seem to collect software usage data, or if they
do keep it sealed outof public view.

To get even a rough guess at proportions we have to assume roughy even
usage across the supported Server OS and look at distrowatch details
about who is popular from the server OS packaging Squid. Even there we
do not get good proportional data.

Squid has long provided features for running anonymous and/or
transparently. So network records are also not useful measurements of
actual usage.

Amos