Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2x: Question about performances in tmpfs

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 16:55:06 +0100

On 02.03.12 16:47, David Touzeau wrote:
>I have a server with 8Go memory on 4 processors.
>Currently my squid proxy 3.2 and my Debian using around 2Go memory in
>the full production mode.
>
>I would like to try to add a kind of "temporary" cache in tmpfs using
>around 3.5go of Squid Cache./

That's what memory cache is for... while you loose it after restarting
squid, by using tmpfs you'd have duplicate data in memory...

>/Did it possible to do this on the squid.conf ? :/

yes.

>Means that the tmpfs is monted on /var/cache/squid-tmpfs
>Each instance will have 875 Mb on a tmpfs and when the size is full
>it will automatically start to run the standard cache based on disk.

No, squid can't distinct bedtween multiple cache_dirs like this.
This is just what memory cache is for...

If you have 64bit kernel, you can try increasing cache_mem to e.g. 4GB

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759