Re: [squid-users] Roadmap Squid 3.2

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:57:50 +1300

On 06.03.2012 15:58, Ed W wrote:
> Is Squid-3.2.0.15 the "most stable" release to be using for
> deployment on the bleeding edge, or is 3.2.0.12 still the safest bet?

.15 is IMO back on par with .12 for issues. Both needing some nasty
issues patching before any production testing. see below about .16.

Frederick has been supplying most of the feedback for .15, so his
happiness is a good sign. There are others (self-included) using it
without hitting the same bugs so YMMV but the bump is over and my
reservations about advising general upgrades from the earlier beta are
gone.

> In the past you have given some guidance as builds have moved into
> new
> functionality vs bug squashing phases?

I give what guidance as I can in the "Squid X is available"
announcements for all releases (signup to squid-announce or squid-users
lists to get those). Covering what major changes have taken place, who
will benefit most by upgrading to it and a rough impression of urgency.

> Are you imminently about to release 3.2.016?

Very, very imminent.

> Does someone have some big picture comments on rock store - benefits,
> any known issues?

In overview it is equivalent to COSS with an SMP support upgrade. We
expect roughly the same performance benefits out of it, but have no
speed comparison available (volunteer project?).

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore has the overview and a
list of limitations. Bugzilla has a few bugs.

Amos