Re: [squid-users] requests per second

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:12:44 +1300

On 13.03.2012 00:44, Student University wrote:
> Hi David ,,,,
>
> You achieve 2K with what version of squid ,,,
> do you have any special configuration tweaks ,,,
>
> also what if i use SSD [200,000 Random Write 4K IOPS]
>
> Best Regards ,,,
> Liley
>

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM, David B.wrote:
>> Hi Jenny,
>>
>> Reverse proxy or not ?
>> We're using squid as reverse proxy et only that.

The key point of that statement being "reverse proxy".

Squid speeds are highly variable relative to traffic behaviour.
Reverse-proxy have their own style of traffic pattern involving a single
or limited number of websites being "reversed"/accelerated, which allows
for very high speeds and bandwidth efficiency (HIT ratio) to be
achieved. Other modes of operation face much more variable traffic
patterns and much lower benefits.

Jenny and David face opposite extremes of traffic. David can get high
speeds over twice what our lab tests show. Jenny faces traffic types
which are not cacheable even in the high-speed short-term RAM cache.
Making for speed limits affected by TCP/IP overheads, network overheads,
and processing overheads. Even the 1K req/sec lab test speeds are well
out of reach on that type of traffic.

"Student University": starting to get the idea of why nobody can simply
point you at a how-to?

*why* and *what for* strongly determine the speeds you can achieve. You
need to provide us with quite a few details about your setup to get
useful help.

The simplest answer to your question is "To get 5K on a Squid being
regular proxy involves re-writing every website on the Internet to use
HTTP/1.1 correctly and cache-friendly." You up for doing that?

Amos