[squid-users] Need 413 status code when reply_body_max_size is hit

From: <squid-list_at_dubistmeinheld.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:50:58 +0100

I limit the maximum file size an employee can download to our network using
reply_body_max_size 100 MB proxy_user1. If this limit is hit, Squid returns a
403.

My problem is that I would like to differentiate between the status code 403
that comes from a target website that does not allow access at all to download
a specific file and to the intentional 403 that is generated from Squid
because the file size exceeds the limit we set.

The reason is that I want to display the user a message like "The target
website does not allow access" and "You have requested a file to download that
is too large. Please contact the IT department". I was thinking that the 413
is useful for that.

Is there a way to change the status code/message when a user hits the
reply_body_max_size and differentiate that case? Is there any other
workaround?

Thanks a lot for your help.