RE: [squid-users] Login Popups on Windows XP with squid_kerb_auth and external acl

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:37:17 +1300

On 15.03.2012 00:51, Игорь Потапов wrote:
> I've found failing component. It’s external_acl_type with the %LOGIN
> parameter. It starts some kind of authentification if it thinks user
> is not authenticated. And that procedure force IE on XP to open login
> window. I think theat procedure is different one than in
> squid_kerb_auth' ACL.
> How can I help to determine root cause if this issue?

To use authenticated details to check authorization one must first have
authenticated them successfully.

proxy_auth is a simple: test authenticated yes/no. It requires
credentials to be (1) known; at the point and time when the ACL is
tested.

external ACL with %LOGIN is a more complex: test authenticate AND test
authorized yes/no. %LOGIN requires user credentials to be (1) known, (2)
valid, (3) current; at the point and time when the external ACL is
tested.

If they are not meeting all three criteria, Squid will attempt to fetch
some which do meet the criteria.

We have had some troubles in the past (until very recently) with
external ACL identifying the current+valid parts of the criteria wrong.
As far as I know these are fixed now in 3.1.19. But you are of course
welcome to investigate and see if we missed some case that is affecting
IE8.

Amos