Re: [squid-users] Accessing Squid by telnet - differences in behavior?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:37:24 +1300

On 23/03/2012 5:22 p.m., Justin Lawler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Comparing a legacy instance of squid (squid 3.0.15) with the latest (3.1.19), and we noticed some differences. Wondering what the change was.
>
> When we telnet into the port& do a "Get http://www.gmail.com http/1.1" - on legacy squid, once it returns the content it closes the connection immediately. On the newest version of squid it waits 2 minutes before closing the connection.
>
> Is this anything to be worried about? Can it be configured?

Squid 3.0 is HTTP/1.0-only.

Squid 3.1 is almost HTTP/1.1 compliant. It attempts to use HTTP/1.1
features whenever possible, but still advertises itself as 1.0 to
prevent the client software depending on the few 1.1-only features which
are still missing.
  One of the supported HTTP/1.1 features is persistent connections being
assumed on by default. Your telnet request specified that you were a
HTTP/1.1 compliant client and failed to specify "Connection:close",
therefore Squid keeps the connection open waiting for another request.

Not something to worry about. But if you are in the habit of writing
scripts that send "HTTP/1.1", it may be worthwhile checking that they
are actully HTTP/1.1 compliant in even small ways like this.

Amos