[squid-users] Metrics to calculate 'best' values for cache_mem and cache_dir?

From: Peter Gaughran <Peter.Gaughran_at_nuim.ie>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:42:29 +0100

With the recent (enlightening) posts from Christian, Marcus et al, I was
wondering what the metrics actually are for calculating cache_mem and
cache_dir? I've read (for Linux at least) aufs is superior to diskd, so
I've made the appropriate decision, but any time any reference is made
to size of caches or directory depth, figures are mentioned that seem to
be obeying formulae, but I've yet to find the actual formulae? Are they
any other critical parameters I should be wary of, resource wise?

I've had a look over the Squid wiki, and various other sources, but
can't seem to find a definitive answer? Apologies if I'm being daft and
missing something that's well known :)

Our current setup is a 32 gig, single CPU (E5620) with 4 15k 300 gig
disks available for disk cache (o/s is elsewhere).