[squid-users] Squid keeps fetching content from the internet - even with no one using it

From: Spam Eater <spammeatwill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 01:52:55 +0100

Hi,

I am using squid as a transparent proxy, with the purpose of caching
local content so I can save bandwidth and accellerate frequently used
pages.
My problem is that squid is permanently fetching content from the
internet, and I don't know why.
I have deleted, then recreated the cache dir with -z several times,
but I always see traffic from squid with tcpdump.
This is puzzling me. It seems to crawl to the most weird sites. I
thought squid would only go to the internet after a user requests a
page, but I have nobody connected to the server.
I initially found it weird that the CPU was always working for squid
(5%~10%) with no one connected, then I found this.
Can someone please shed a light on the subject? I have researched the
faq and wiki, but I might be looking with the wrong keywords... I
found nothing on this matter.

Thank you!