Re: [squid-users] reply body max size: crash or not?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:52:54 +1300

On 29/03/2012 6:21 p.m., Tianyin Xu wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm new to Squid proxy server, and I'm learning to do admin jobs
> related to Squid.
>
> I have a question on the "reply_body_max_size" directive. From the
> manual, I notice that:
>
> WARNING: A maximum size smaller than the size of squid's error message
> will cause an infinite loop and crash squid. Ensure that the smallest
> non-zero value you use is greater that the maximum header size plus
> the size of your largest error page.
>
> To see the consequence of setting a too small configuration values, I set
>
> reply_body_max_size 1 bytes
>
> in the squid.conf, start squid, and then use my browser to access
> webpage like Google and Facebook. But it seems that there's no
> infinite loop or system crash. The system behavior is really correct
> that reject all these access. So is this an already fixed problem (the
> manual is out-of-date) so that I don't need to worry? Or it's still
> possible to cause the crash?

IIRC it has been fixed. But may still show up on some older versions.
The worst cases were where the "error" is an authentication challenge
and that being blocked causes some nasty behaviours.

This is a limit on the response objects. Squid error pages are all just
a few KB. So when setting a small limit which might affect them keep in
mind all the web pages or scripts your users may need to load which are
hundreds of KB.

Amos