Re: [squid-users] reply body max size: crash or not?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:35:25 +1200

On 30/03/2012 7:02 a.m., Tianyin Xu wrote:
> Hi, Amos,
>
> Thanks a lot for the response!!
> The thing I'm still not clear is that it still works when I set the
> limit to "1 bytes" which is obviously less than the size of any error
> message. So, it means any small setting of this directive won't cause
> infinite loop/crash results but only limit the response objects. Am I
> right?

It was fixed a while back, but there are still older versions still
being distributed with some operating systems. For exampel, LTE releases
with 5-10 year support cycles. Being able to use 1 byte limit is a good
sign that your Squid is not affected. The point of the documentation
warning is to make you be careful and check when going small.

> This brings the fundamental difference to me. If it may fall into an
> infinite loop, the admin should be really cautious and conservative.
> Otherwise, it doesn't matter too much (at most reject sth) and can be
> set aggressively.

It is reasonable to retain the conservatism regardless of this bug and
test your version before changing these limits. The effects of limiting
in your Squid.

Amos