Re: [squid-users] limiting connections

From: H <hm_at_hm.net.br>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:35:02 -0300

Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 03/04/2012 18:30, Carlos Manuel Trepeu Pupo wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Amos Jeffries<squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
>> wrote:

>>> ACL types are pretty easy to add to the Squid code. I'm happy to
>>> throw an
>>> ACL patch your way for a few $$.
>>>
>>> Which comes back to me earlier still unanswered question about why
>>> you want
>>> to do this very, very strange thing?
>>>
>>> Amos
>>>

>> OK !! Here the complicate and strange explanation:
>>
>> Where I work we have 128 Kbps for the use of almost 80 PCs, a few of
>> them use download accelerators and saturate the channel. I began to
>> use the ACL maxconn but I have still a few problems. 60 of the clients
>> are under an ISA server that I don't administrate, so I can't limit
>> the maxconn to them like the others. Now with this ACL, everyone can
>> download but with only one connection. that's the strange main idea.
> what do you mean by only one connection?
> if it's under one isa server then all of them share the same external IP.

Hi

I am following this thread with mixed feelings of weirdness and
admiration ...

there are always two ways to reach a far point, it's left around or
right around the world, depending on your position one of the ways is
always the longer one. I can understand that some without hurry and
money issues chose the longer one, perhaps also because of more chance
for adventurous happenings, unknown and the unexpected

so know I explained in a similar long way what I do not understand, why
would you make such a complicated out of scope code, slow, certainly
dangerous ... if at least it would be perl, but bash calling external
prog and grepping, whow ... when you can solve it with a line of code ?

this task would fit pf or ipfw much better, would be more elegant and
zillions times faster and secure, not speaking about time investment,
how much time you need to write 5/6 keywords of code?

or is it for demonstration purpose, showing it as an alternative
possibility?

+55 11 4249.2222