Re: [squid-users] Re: Re: commBind: Cannot bind socket

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:11:04 +1200

On 10/04/2012 1:11 a.m., Markus Moeller wrote:
> But it should be possible to determine that automatically (e.g. if the
> bind on ::1 fails try ipv4) shouldn' it ?

Yes. The socket handling is a bit strange in 3.1 though. Failover does
not work on helpers. Mostly because its an internal channel, Squid is
running the app at both ends, both are opening localhost / ::1.

Going back and reading your report after some sleep, it would seem you
did not fully disable IPv6 or restart Squid after changing such
fundamental detail. The Squid startup sequence probes to determine
whether an IPv6 stack is present, and what type. The "localhost" default
values depend on those probes results, with ::1 preferred if available.

Amos