Re: [squid-users] How to show Splash Screen with Squid 2.7?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:28:12 +1200

On 12.04.2012 09:04, Regis Eugenio wrote:
> Good!
> I'm running a school server with squid 2.7 and have interest in
> showing
> always a "Splash Screen" on start a http browser with information
> regarding
> our school.
> I was looking at this item:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Portal/Splash#Outline, but
> i'm
> really stuck with the "Squid Helpers" and how to generating the
> "session.db"
> knowing the server dont use any user authentication program, since
> it's free
> to use.

session != authentication

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/authentication-vs-authorization/

The match/no-match ACL result is based on whether a session existed
*prior* to the test. It is simply a test "have I seen you before?
yes/no", the no's get a splash page.

What you are looking for is the passive mode splash screen. Simply
testing the ACL with the helper in passive mode creates or updates a
session.

Amos