Re: [squid-users] Squid crash: where to look to find the reason?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 01:42:53 +1200

On 13.04.2012 22:24, Leonardo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My Squid crashed recently, but access.log and cache.log logfiles show
> no error. It really looks like the squid process exited on its own.
> Unfortunately my system was configured not to generate a core dump
> (I've enabled that now.) Debugging symbols are on.
>
> Where can I look to get to know more about the stop? This is a
> production system and must provide a reliable service to users.
>
> The Squid is Version 3.1.7 on Debian 5, with configure options:

If the cache.log contains nothing, your next best hope is a core dump
if it crashed. Debian is one of the OS which disable the production of
core dumps by default, so the info is likely to not exist.

I advise moving up to a more recent 3.1 release whatever the problem
was. 3.1.14 was the last release with major security problems found and
yours appears to be a custom build older than that.

Amos