Re: [squid-users] Allow access to a blocked site based on site that links/embeds it

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 14:55:40 +1200

On 17.04.2012 14:29, James Robertson wrote:
> We have an acl that blocks certain websites, specifically youtube.
>
> A website used by staff for work has started publishing training
> videos on youtube and embeds them in their webpages and we need to
> allow access to these without allowing access to all of youtube.
>
> Is it possible to somehow allow these particular videos from youtube,
> perhaps based on the site that is linking to them? Or by some other
> method?

No. Normally you would allow Referer: header containing a trusted site
to go through and cross your fingers that nobody abuses that loophole in
security to insert Referer: headers to unwanted content.

Youtube videos unfortunately are accessed via redirects from the
embeded "watch=FOO" URI to a different video location URI. So even that
Referer: trick does not work. You have to find out the actual URLs for
each video and permit them individually. Or grab them and host locally.

Amos