[squid-users] Encrypted (Basic) Authentication

From: Christoph Mitasch <cmitasch_at_thomas-krenn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:38:43 +0200

Hello,

we have stored usernames and secure password hashes in a central
OpenLDAP directory.

We want to use Squid as a proxy for clients and require them to login
using the central LDAP directory.
This login should work over an encrypted connection since it's not an
option to send the password unencrypted. Logging the username in the
squid logs is also essential.

Using a weak hashing algorithm like the digest authentication does,
isn't a good option either.

I found the following solution, but I'm not suire if that's a good way
to go.
http://www.mikealeonetti.com/wiki/index.php/Squid_LDAP_transparent_proxy_authentication_script

What can you recommend?

Thank you,