Re: [squid-users] NTLM, non-domain machines and keep-alive

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 01:58:01 +1200

On 20/04/2012 12:03 a.m., Harry Mills wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded our squid to version 3.1.19 but I am still seeing the
> repeated popup box issue with non-domain member machines (windows
> machines).

Well, yes. Lookup the requriements for NTLM with actual security
enabled. #1 on the list is "join the client machine to domain" or some
wording to that effect.

NTLM and its relative are domain-based authentication protocols, with a
centralized controller system. You are trying to make machines outside
the domain with no access to the DC secrets able to generate tokens
based on those secrets.

It used to "work" for NTLMv1 because it has a failure recovery action
which drops back to LM protocol which is frighteningly like Basic auth
protocol without any domain secrets to validate the machine is allowed
to be logged in with. None of the modern software permits that LM mode
to be used anymore without some manual security disabling.

> Domain member machines authenticate perfectly via NTLM, but non-domain
> member machines (Windows XP, Windows 7) pop up a password box three
> times before accepting the credentials.
>
> I have removed all the authentication directives _except_ the NTLM one
> to simplify the troubleshooting.
>
> If I asked Internet Explorer to save the credentials then the
> authentication works fine and I get no further popup boxes. Chrome is
> the same - as is Firefox, although interestingly Firefox will only
> authenticate if the credentials have been stored. If they have not
> been stored (using IE remember password) it plain refuses to
> authenticate at all (no popup boxes or anything).

Wow strange behaviour from Firefox, do they have a bug report about this?

The others are correct for a non-domain machine. When connected to a
domain the machine can validate that the requested NTLM domain/realm is
the same as the machien login one and use that for single-sign-on.
Without an existing domain login or pre-stored domain credentials to use
it is only to be expected the browser asks for popup to be filled out by
the user.

> I am more than happy to work through this myself, but have exhausted
> all my ideas. Could some one point me in the right direction?

While keep-alive / persistent connections *is* mandatory for NTLM to
work. The "auth_param ntlm keep-alive off" setting is a kind of special
adaptation to keep-alive, which sends the challenge signalling NTLM then
drops the connection. Forcing the client to open a new connection and
start it with the auth handshake requests. Once the handshake is started
the normal persistence settings take over.

It is a bit nasty and somewhat confusing. But thats the best we can do
with certain software.

Amos