Re: [squid-users] No forward-proxy ports error in 3.3

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:52:45 +1200

On 25/04/2012 1:48 a.m., Ahmed Talha Khan wrote:
> Hey Amos,,
>
> Can you explain a little how this forward-proxy will be used by squid?
> So i might be able to make a plausible cause for my setup not working.

Sure.

1) When producing an error page there are CSS embeded images(s),
2) When generating FTP directory listing there are icons for each file
on the list,
3) When generating FTP directory listing there are icons for each file
on the list,
4) The cachemgr.cgi API can be accessed via HTTP or HTTPS protocol
through thsis port.
5) URLs inside any HTML manager reports may use this port to target
particular worker for servicing a request.

The visible_hostname and forward-proxy port are used to generate the
URLs in these responses.

For example:
   http_port 192.168.0.1:3128
   visible_hostname f.example.com

generates:
    http://f.example.com:3128/squid-internal-icons/text.png
    http://f.example.com:3128/squid-internal-mgr/
    http://f.example.com:3128/squid-internal-mgr/menu

It is important that the proxy be directly addressible for these types
of things . There are many proxies operating on the Internet, and while
the icons request may be serviced by any of them the mgr interface you
definitely do not want to proxy-A to respond or perform management
requests intended fro proxy-B.

5) to exchange traffic between proxy peers a forward-proxy port is
required by cache_peer as the http-port option. This gets used for all
traffic fetched through that peer, including cache digests, netdb
exchanges and background live/dead monitoring probes.

There are likely some other things I've forgotten, but those are the
main ones.

Amos