Re: [squid-users] anyone knows some info about youtube "range" parameter?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 04:44:58 +0300

On 25/04/2012 20:48, Hasanen AL-Bana wrote:
> wouldn't be better if we save the video chunks ? youtube is streaming
> files with 1.7MB flv chunks, youtube flash player knows how to merge
> them and play them....so the range start and end will alaways be the
> same for the same video as long as user doesn't fast forward it or do
> something nasty...even in that case , squid will just cache that
> chunk...that is possible by rewriting the STORE_URL and including the
> range start& end

as i already answered a detailed answer to Ghassan.
i think that caching the chunks if possible is pretty good thing.
i tried it with nginx but havnt got the option to try it with
store_url_rewrite.

hope to try it somewhere next week.
Regards,
Eliezer

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Ghassan Gharabli
> <sounarose_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As i remember I already discussed this subject before mentioning that
>> Youtube several months ago added a new variable/URI "RANGE". I tried
>> to deny all URLs that comes with "RANGE" to avoid presenting the error
>> at Youtube Player butb tried to investigate more and came with a
>> solution like that :

>> # youtube 360p itag=34 ,480p itag=35 [ITAG/ID/RANGE]
>> if (m/^http:\/\/([0-9.]{4}|.*\.youtube\.com|.*\.googlevideo\.com|.*\.video\.google\.com)\/.*(itag=[0-9]*).*(id=[a-zA-Z0-9]*).*(range\=[0-9\-]*)/)
>> {
>> print $x . "http://video-srv.youtube.com.SQUIDINTERNAL/" . $3 . "&" .
>> $4 . "\n";
>>
>> # youtube 360p itag=34 ,480p itag=35 [ID/ITAG/RANGE]
>> } elsif (m/^http:\/\/([0-9.]{4}|.*\.youtube\.com|.*\.googlevideo\.com|.*\.video\.google\.com)\/.*(id=[a-zA-Z0-9]*).*(itag=[0-9]*).*(range\=[0-9\-]*)/)
>> {
>> print $x . "http://video-srv.youtube.com.SQUIDINTERNAL/" . $2 . "&" .
>> $4 . "\n";
>>
>> # youtube 360p itag=34 ,480p itag=35 [RANGE/ITAG/ID]
>> } elsif (m/^http:\/\/([0-9.]{4}|.*\.youtube\.com|.*\.googlevideo\.com|.*\.video\.google\.com)\/.*(range\=[0-9\-]*).*(itag=[0-9]*).*(id=[a-zA-Z0-9]*)/)
>> {
>> print $x . "http://video-srv.youtube.com.SQUIDINTERNAL/" . $4 . "&" .
>> $2 . "\n";
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> I already discovered that by rewriting them and save them as
>> videplayback?id=0000000&range=00-000000 would solve the problem but
>> the thing is the cache folder would be increased faster because we are
>> not only saving one file as we are saving multiple files for one ID!.
>>
>> AS for me , it saves alot of bandwidth but bigger cache . If you check
>> and analyze it more then you will notice same ID or same videop while
>> watching the link changes for example :
>>
>> It starts [ITAG/ID/RANGE] then changes to [ID/ITAG/RANGE] and finally
>> to [RANGE/ITAG/ID] so with my script you can capture the whole
>> places!.
>>

>> Ghassan
>>
>> On 4/25/12, Eliezer Croitoru<eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il> wrote:
<SNIP>

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il