[squid-users] Cache that will not grow in size

From: Mark Engels <Mark.Engels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 05:37:58 +0000

Hello everyone,

Ive been working on a squid cache appliance for a few weeks now (on and off) and things appear to be working. However I seem to have an issue where the cache size simply refuses to grow in size. My first attempt had the cache stall at 2.03gb and with this latest build im stalling at 803mb.

I haven’t a clue on where to go or what to look at for determining what could be wrong and im hopeing you could be of assistance ☺ also any tips for better performance or improved caching would be greatly appreciated. (Yes I have googled and I think ive applied what I could but it’s a little over my head a few weeks in and no deep linux experience)

Some facts:

Ive been determining the cache size with the following command, du –hs /var/spool/squid
Squid is running on a centOS6.2 machine
Squid is version 3.1.10
CentOS is running in a hyperV virtual machine with integration services installed
VM has 4gb ram and a 60gb HDD allocated
Squid is acting as a cache/error page handler box only. There is the main proxy sitting one step downstream with squid setup in a
“T” network (the main cache can skip squid and go direct to the net if squid falls over on me, hyperV issue)

Config file:

Acl downstream src 192.168.1.2/32
http_access allow downstream

cache_mgr ...

< all the standard acl rules here >

http_access allow localnet
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all

# Squid normally listens to port 3128
http_port 8080

# We recommend you to use at least the following line.
hierarchy_stoplist cgi—bin ?

# Uncomment and adjust the following to add a disk cache directory.
cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 30000 16 256

# Leave coredumps in the first cache dir
coredump_dir /var/spool/squid

# Change maxinum object size
maxinum_object_size 4 GB

# Define max cache_mem
cache_mem 512 MB

#Lousy attempt at youtube caching
quick_abort_min -1 KB
acl youtube dstdomain .youtube.com
cache allow youtube

# Add any of your own refresh_pattern entries above these.
refresh_pattern -i \.flv$ 10080 90% 999999 ignore-no-cache override-expire ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i \.(gif|png|jpg|jpeg|ico|bmp)$ 40320 90% 40330
refresh_pattern -i \.(iso|avi|wav|mp3|mp4|mpeg|swf|x-flv|mpg|wma|ogg|wmv|asx|asf|dmg|zip|exe|rar)$ 40320 90% 40330
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320