Re: [squid-users] Squid Reverse Proxy (accel) always contacting the server

From: Daniele Segato <daniele.segato_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:38:47 +0200

On 04/01/2012 03:21 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Other useful things to know;
> Generating an ETag label for each unique output helps caches detect
> unique versions without timestamp calculations. The easy ways to do this
> are to make ETag a MD5 hash of the body object. Or a hash of the
> Last-Modified timestamp string if the body is too expensive to locate
> MD5 for. Or some other property of the resource which is guaranteed to
> change any time the body changes and not otherwise.

As I told you this was my successive step.
I implemented ETag, working perfectly fine now by computing the MD5 of
the content before formatting it
it's the MD5 of the actual Data that I use to obtain the response (which
can be Json, XML, Html, ...).

But I have issues with Squid not sending me the ETag in If-None-Modified
request header, I created another topic here in the list:
"Squid 3.1 + Accel conf + ETag = ignoring ETag"

to discuss this.

> Cache-Control:stale-while-revalidate tells caches to revalidate, but not
> to block the client response waiting for that validation to finish.
> Clients will get the old object until a new one or 304 is received back.

I can't use this yet because I have an older version of Squid but thank
you, I'll use it as soon as my production Linux distribution update Squid.

bye