Re: [squid-users] Cache that will not grow in size

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 17:10:53 +1200

On 4/05/2012 1:52 p.m., Mark Engels wrote:
> Would anyone have any ideas here? The cache persists in not growing past 780mb despite having 45gig/829000 requests of web traffic go past it each day.

There are a great many reasons why a cache does not grow. The top ones
are that in more recent Squid we try to avoid cycling non-cacheable
material through the disk cache. So we avoid filling cache space with
non-reusable content, and also the small short-lived things often expire
while still only in RAM. Modern websites also contain a lot of dynamic
content. So the CMS systems they use often make thing non-cacheable, or
the better ones require revalidation, which can replace cached objects
instead of adding new content.
Then the browser caches store a lot so middleware tends to get MISSes
more often.

Amos