Re: [squid-users] better configuration for this server

From: Pieter De Wit <pieter_at_insync.za.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 23:50:28 +1200

On 7/05/2012 23:38, Mário Sérgio Candian wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I have a server with this configuration:
>
> Intel xeon E5-2670 with 8 cores, 2.60GHz (3.30 GHz with Turbo Boost), 20MB
> of cache, QPI Link 8GT/s;
> Hyper-threading, 1600MHz TDP of 115 Watts;
> 32GB ( 4 x 8GB ) RAM DDR3-1333MHz, Dual rank x4;
> RAID 5;
> 3 HDs SAS 6Gbps of 300GB, 10k RPM, Hot Plug;
> CacheCade 200GB SSD SAS
>
> Is this enough to support 7000 simultaneous users? For 15000 users is
> enough?
>
> Whats the better configuration of squid with a server like this? Whats value
> I can use in cache_mem? In cache_dir option, is advisable to use diskd or
> aufs?
>
> And the other options:
>
> cache_swap_low ??
> cache_swap_high ??
> cache_replacement_policy ??
> memory_replacement_policy ??
>
> I'd like a configuration for maximum performance. Someone can help me?
>
> Regards,
> MSC

Hi,

What config have you tried so far ? What OS do you plan to run on here ?
Squid can support millions of users if they don't do anything or as
little as 100's of users. What type of traffic do you see going via this
box ?

"Off the bat" I can tell you now to give up on RAID-5, it's not worth
it. What network cards do you have in this machine. If this is a cache
for an ISP (guessing by the numbers) you will need gigabit and more.

Cheers,

Pieter