Re: [squid-users] Squid error code response to NXDOMAIN

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 02:33:29 +0300

On 10/05/2012 23:47, Andrew Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm comparing Squid 2.7 to Squid 3.1, and I've found the error code
> returned between the two versions differs when attempting to fetch a site
> where the domain name does not exist. In Squid 2.7, it returns an HTTP
> 504 (Gateway Timeout), while Squid 3.1 returns an HTTP 503 (Service
> Unavailable)
>
> I've narrowed this down to FwdState::makeConnectingError(err_type), but
> I'm not sure if this is by design.
> It seems to be related to whether the request requires validation, but I
> can't see an obvious way to force this via configuration.
>
> In lieu of finding a way to force Squid 3.1 to always return an HTTP 504
> error code, I've prepared a patch which seems to work, but I'd still like
> some community feedback prior to submitting it. Is there a particular
> reason why Squid 3.1 will return either HTTP 503 or 504, depending on
> whether the request requires validation?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

well there is not a really one way to implement it.
the real issue is not a 504 case because the gateway is available and
running OK.
so it's not a gateway issue.
but it's also not a 503 code because this is dns resolution case and can
be because of couple of reasons.
i think that it's better left as a 503 because instead of checking
routing issue on the proxy you will check another level.

Eliezer

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il