Re: [squid-users] Duplicate files, content distribution networks

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 15:55:21 +0300

On 18/05/2012 10:33, Jack Bates wrote:
> Are there any resources in Squid core or in the Squid community to help
> cache duplicate files? Squid is very useful for building content
> distribution networks, but how does Squid handle duplicate files from
> content distribution networks when it is used as a forward proxy?
>
> This is important to us because many download sites present users with a
> simple download button that doesn't always send them to the same mirror.
> Some users are redirected to mirrors that are already cached while other
> users are redirected to mirrors that aren't. We use a caching proxy in a
> rural village here in Rwanda to improve internet access, but users often
> can't predict whether a download will take seconds, or hours, which is
> frustrating
>
> How does Squid handle files distributed from mirrors? Do you know of any
> resources concerning forward proxies and download mirrors?
squid 2.7 has the store_url_rewrite option that does what you need.
sourceforge is one nice example for a cdn files download based mirrors.
and you can always use the cache_peer option to use the main squid as a
more updated version and to use only for what you need such as specific
domain from the older version.

Eliezer

--
Eliezer Croitoru