[squid-users] problem accessing sharepoint

From: Paolo Supino <paolo.supino_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 13:01:11 +0200

Hi

I was approached by a user that has problems accessing a sharepoint
share external to our company and I'm lost in finding the cause of the
failure and a fix for it...

The remote sharepoint site (running sharepoint 14 on IIS 7.5) is
accessed via a battery of Squid proxies (2.6.STABLE21, RHEL 5.5) that
authenticate to the company's windows 2003 domain via kerberos and an
external helper that checks group membership. When trying to access
the remote sharepoint site via the URL:
http://www.example.com/sites/share-name it repeatedly prompts the user
with username/password (the sharepoint site uses NTLM authentication).
Running TCP dump on the proxy through which the request is being
forwarded I noticed that the sharepoint site rejects the
username/password pair and sends back "HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized".

Authentication isn't rejected completely when using Internet Explorer
6 and explicity asking for default.aspx ASP page by entering the URL:
http://www.example.com/sites/share-name/default.aspx, but some elemnts
in the page aren't loaded causing it to be impossible to work with the
files in the share.

I apologize for the lack of information (again, I'm lost). Anyone can
try and help me solve the problem (if it is solvable)?

TIA
Paolo